If you’ve never had real butter before, you are in for a treat!
This is the simple method we use. It doesn’t take long and it is so worth the effort!
- Let cow milk sit for approx 12-24 hours undisturbed in the fridge.
- Once you see a good clean cream line, (Ours averages at 25%), use a ladle spoon to scoop off the cream.
- Put it in a separate jar or bowl and let sit for about 4 hours to bring to room temp.
- At this point you have several options, we use a kitchen aid, so that is what I will describe here.
- I pour the cream into my Kitchen Aid, put the whisk attachment on, start it at low/medium speed until it whips the cream into whipped cream.
- You can stop here and have lovely, soft and tasty whipped cream, or just keep whisking and soon that beautiful whipped cream will separate and you will see a yellow liquid, (this is real butter milk), along with little dots of yellow solids.
- Keep whisking, and soon all those yellow dots come together with liquid on the bottom.
- Once this happens, stop the mixer and, with clean hands, scoop out you butter.
- I take mine to the sink. I fill a clean bowl with fresh, cold water and plop the butter in it.
- Take the butter out and message it.
- Plop it back in the water to rinse and take it out again to message.
- Once your water it cloudy, rinse and repeat, do this until there is no more liquid coming out of the butter when you message.
- Put your fresh butter in a jar or bowl with a cover and store it in the fridge.
It’s so much better than anything you can buy at the grocery store